So… I’m just going to say it:
Actors are real people.
Musicians are real people.
“Celebrities” are real people.
With real thoughts and feelings.
And real interests.
And real problems.
And real REAL things going on in their lives.
Like, okay, it’s awesome when we find out that someone well-known likes a lot of the stuff we “regular people” do. But is it really that weird that someone on your favourite television show likes a movie you really like? Or when that person makes a really nerdy reference that you would make?
I mean, I’m the first person to be like, “I think That Person is really good-looking/funny/clever/genetically-superior, I’m going to reblog things about them on the tumblr because I agree with them and I think it’s neat.”
But I’m also really weirded out when that person is on the cover of a trashmag because they’ve split up with their girlfriend or they had a wardrobe malfunction at an event.
Let’s bring it down:
think about the person at school/work/church/blood-sacrifice you like.
You find them really attractive and/or really want to get to know them better, right?
So maybe you’re friends with them on facebook and maybe look through their photos.
Or you pay attention to them when you’re wherever you know them from.
Maybe you share things they share, or share things on their page because, hey, you think they might enjoy those things.
Does it occur to you that they might really like some of the things that you like? Should it surprise you that they like really neat things? I mean, those things are pretty neat, right? And you enjoy those things, so why wouldn’t that person from school/work/church/blood-sacrifice really like it, too? Why wouldn’t anybody like those really neat things?
The thing about well-known people (I hate saying “celebrities”), like actors and musicians, is that they’re people who like lots of things (like some of the things that you like) (and you like some of the things that they like), but their likes and dislikes get more visibility because they’re well-known for acting/singing/dancing/playing an instrument/being well-known.
They don’t need to be your hero because they’re nerdy. They don’t need to be your role-model because they’ve made decisions you know about and agree with. They don’t need to be held up as a deity for making a tough decision.
Making them so only sets you up for disappointment if they make a decision or say something with which you disagree.
Which is why I find it so ridiculous when the wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends/partners of well-known people get a lot of flak/praise, simply because they’re attached to someone well-known.
Who cares if you don’t think that the person is good enough for your favourite well-known person? Your favourite well-known person thinks that their partner is more than good enough for them.
Who cares if you think that the person your favourite well-known person is attached to is a perfect specimen of amazingness? Your favourite well-known person already knows this.
How would you feel if every move you made was analysed by strangers and people on the internet? (Moreso than it already is on facebook, anyway.) How would you feel if you were hounded by cameras, had people screaming your name on the street, and posting those photos to the internet without your consent? Because a lot of people saw you somewhere a bunch of times.
Because that’s what well-known people do. And as sad and upsetting it can seem that some celebrities are selling their child’s photo, can you blame them for wanting to have some modicum of protection and control over how their child is seen for the first time? (Michael Jackson having his children wear masks kind of makes sense now, doesn’t it?)
Well-known people don’t get a lot of privacy. We objectify them, we emulate them, and we idolise them. They’re well-known for some sort of talent… and sometimes they have to exercise the talents of “patience” and “kindness” and “ignoring what people are saying about them”.
This is actually heartbreaking when you remember Lilo tells Stitch her parents went for a drive, and the bad weather caused them to crash.
I always thought this scene was adorable
Wow thanks guy
Right in the childhood.
i never made that connection
Oh my god. That’s why it’s so important to her. Oh my god
this is tragic.
I’m a Christian, and even I can recognize how ridiculous it is for people to oppose gay marriage based on the grounds that “The Bible defines marriage as one man and one woman.” That’s simply not true.
If these are barbaric and no longer acceptable practices, then I think we can say that prejudice against queer people is also barbaric and no longer acceptable.
What people don’t understand is God never intended for alot of things he allowed for people to do, and if he didn’t allow those temporary rules in place alot of those women/slaves would face terrible problems in the societies humanity had formed in their areas.
1. It simply is true that the Bible calls homosexual behavior a sin. It also calls sex outside of marriage a sin, along with lying, stealing, murder, hating, putting anything before God, dishonoring your father and mother, disrespecting the Sabbath, and so on. It is by no means the worst sin nor will anyone go to hell based on that sin alone. Christ paid for our sins, and only rejecting His free gift sends anyone to hell.
2. At that time it was almost impossible for a woman who had lost her virginity to find a good husband. Marriage wasn’t only about love and partnership. In all of the cultures in that area at that time, women were dependent on men (and men on women, just in different ways). To rape a virgin wasn’t simply violating her, it was condemning her to a life of poverty and possibly starvation. While marrying your rapist is never a happy thing, for women at that time it was their best chance of survival.
3. Genesis 2:24 says: “That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.”
It’s literally saying that neither is better or more important than the other, but instead are two people made one, sharing their lives and possessions.
For the arranged marriages: As I said earlier, marriage was about survival. Marriages were arranged between families who knew one another for the benefit of everyone, including the couple.
Interfaith marriages were forbidden because it’s naive to think that a difference in religion will never be a major tension in a marriage. More often than not, those differences either ruin marriages or pull one of the spouses away from their faith. In the Bible we have numerous examples of men marrying outside the Jewish faith and being led to worship other gods. Obviously, that wasn’t okay. God loves His people, and he didn’t want them being led into sin (especially since local pagan religions often had rituals that involved human, even infant sacrifice, temple prostitutes, and so on).
About wives submitting: If you’re referring to Genesis 3:16, which says “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; / in pain you shall bring forth children. /
Your desire shall be for[f] your husband, / and he shall rule over you,” that is a curse resulting from Adam and Eve’s sin.
If you’re referring to Ephesians 5:22, you should keep reading.
“Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.
25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.[a] 28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.”
4. Genesis 38:6-10 “And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. 7 But Er, Judah’s firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and the Lord put him to death. 8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother’s wife and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his. So whenever he went in to his brother’s wife he would waste the semen on the ground, so as not to give offspring to his brother. 10 And what he did was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and he put him to death also.”
This is not about a wife submitting sexually to her new husband! It’s about a man being told to swallow his pride and provide his new wife with a son so that she could be provided for in her old age after he was gone and so that his dead brother’s line would continue. Onan is the one being commanded here, not Tamar. Also, God doesn’t give the command for Onan to marry Tamar, Onan’s father does.
Again, widows were in terrible danger of extreme poverty and starvation. If the widow had a son, he could help provide for her when he grew older. If she didn’t, she needed a husband. This is God providing for them.
5. In the stories where men took numerous wives and concubines, that was usually their downfall. Abraham had the whole Hagar incident, Solomon was led away from faith and built pagan temples, and so on. These were examples of what not to do. These men were indulging selfish desires.
6. Exodus 21:1-6 “Now these are the rules that you shall set before them. 2 When you buy a Hebrew slave,[a] he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing. 3 If he comes in single, he shall go out single; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s, and he shall go out alone.”
The verse says NOTHING about wives submitting sexually. Stop inserting that where it shouldn’t be. This kept Hebrew people from being slaves for life, but it also protected the master from losing all his slaves every seven years. The slaves were his source of income for himself and his family. Slavery was not instituted by God, it was something that the Hebrew people adopted from surrounding nations. God didn’t like it, but He didn’t forcibly uproot it either. Instead, He instituted rules to keep it in check.
7. Genesis 16:1-3 Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. She had a female Egyptian servant whose name was Hagar. 2 And Sarai said to Abram, “Behold now, the Lord has prevented me from bearing children. Go in to my servant; it may be that I shall obtain children[a] by her.” And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai. 3 So, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her servant, and gave her to Abram her husband as a wife.
In this passage, Sarai gives Abraham her servant. He doesn’t take Hagar. Also, it’s common practice even today for a man and woman to share their property when they get married. I don’t know why this is weird.
8. The idea was to keep Midianite cultural and religious influences out of Hebrew culture. Young girls were spared and allowed to join the Hebrew culture. IT SAYS NOTHING ABOUT ANYONE SUBMITTING SEXUALLY TO ANYONE.
9. Putting the “Man + Wives + Concubines” thing in twice doesn’t actually give you more “evidence” or support for your crap.
this deserves a lot of notes.
You rage, you lose.
Stupidity + malice = feminism
Wow… How dumb are feminists… Always cracks me up they post this kind of stuff… Especially that last one, they basically are talking about falsifying a crime… ON A PUBLIC FORUM!
And this is why I hate feminists.
I’m watching The Return of the King and realised how brave Elrond is letting his daughter stay. She’s dying and he still lets her stay for Aragorn!
I dunno… I still think little kids are evil and dangerous no matter how you raise them. Frankly, they scare me and I’m not opposed to banning children across the world outright. Maybe we should just stick to cats and dogs after all, they’re much safer, more loyal, less expensive and just all around better.
This was a man, dressed as a plant, making pigeon noises at people walking by. I said hello, asked if it was okay to take his picture, and then asked why he was dressed as a plant. He said, “I’m just working through some stuff. Thank you for asking. No ones asked yet.”
I’ve been dealing with stuff the wrong way.
Obviously he’s in the gunblr.
JUST CLICK IT OMG
I AM THE WISE OLD GUARDIAN OF BUTTS
THIS MAKES ME SAD AGAIN BECAUSE I CANT CREATE SOMETHING LIKE THOSE ON THIS
i made a demon puppy„,
i made the scratch